Letter to my Younger Self

Posted by Divs on 2:37 AM

Dear January Divania

I’m sure by now the reality of your situation has hit you and that you’re terrified…Bags not packed, so much to do, leaving everyone - WAIT! Stop thinking about all this. I wish I could really come back in time and tell you all these things. You would be a lot less stressed.

Thinking about what to advise you on was very difficult. Telling you about something like heartbreak seemed ludicrous, as my experiences of that particularly charming aspect of life are the same as yours. So, after much head-scratching and deliberation, I decided to give you some tips on alcohol. Yes, I did write “alcohol”. Never thought you would need advice on THAT, of all things, did you? Well, fear not, you are not an alcoholic, but you drink a fair amount more than you used to. Okay, that’s an understatement. Let’s just say that drinking twice a year is a thing of the past. Or rather, a thing of your present. I won’t preach. Basically, what I want to say is BE RESPONSIBLE! You had a drunken escapade in June that DID NOT end well and I would like to avoid a repeat performance, understand? Don’t drink anything that u KNOW makes you mindless (think about the Lupini episode - I think you get the point). Another reason to not drink ridiculous amounts of alcohol is the consequential weight gain. You might think it’s not possible for you to put on weight…believe me, sweetie, you are wrong. Also, like Mummy always says, “Drinking gives you wrinkles!”. I cannot prove or disprove this, but it is better to be cautious, right?

I hope u take some of this to heart (especially the weight thing). Enjoy your year. Take it from me, you have NEVER had this much fun.

Lots of love,
September Divania.

1 comments:

Comment by NewStreet on September 29, 2008 at 9:50 AM

I could not have said it better myself. Who would have thought that we would be party animals? It’s true that when we were preparing for university we said that we will stand our ground and say no to drugs and alcohol but it seems like peer pressure has gotten the better of us except when it comes to drugs that is.

I remember some crazy nights too that started off with a bottle of four cousins and ended with my head in the toilet. Yes, that was not a pretty sight. The next morning is even worse; hangover central. I also think that these drunken nights are what contributed to my “masala mix” situations because all the secrets escape when you’re a little tipsy.

I’m glad you decided to enlighten your younger self about the indulgent habits of Rhodes students. I would have certainly appreciated that advice.
Here’s to learning from our mistakes and responsible nights out.

Divia Padayachee
Blog ID: MyNewStreet
www.newstreet6140.blogspot.com