Letter to younger me

Posted by Von on 4:45 AM

Journ 1
Letter to self


Dear Innocent,

Let me guess, you’re starting to put your things together, excited and anxious about beginning your first year at Rhodes. You’re probably trying to imagine exactly what it will be like in your new and exhilarating life. Well, don’t. Chances are it will be neither what you are expecting nor what you are hoping for. Shocked? So was I. Frankly speaking, the fact is your expectations will only make the reality of the situation both useless and disappointing. Why, you ask? Well, the list is endless really, but to spare your pitiful but admirable idealistic optimism, I will focus on one thing. The Plague of the Façade. What this means my naïve and gullible little friend, is that what you see is never what you get. This became apparent to me after a few months of being here, and unfortunately for me, I had had no previous warnings of this epidemic and had to as they say, learn from my own experience. Contrary to what you may so trustingly believe, people do not become friends merely on the basis of them sharing common interests. In fact, this is hardly the case. Simply put, varsity is merely a bigger high school with more fake people. I was taught this by a sad encounter with people in my tutorials who seemed to like to make conversation during the tutorials but as soon as we were out of it could neither remember my name nor recognize my face. I say this not to scare you, but to prepare you. Do not pay any attention to people who try to change you but focus on those who want to accept you. Life is so much easier that way. So enjoy it little one, and pack an umbrella!

Your older, learned self.

Von

0 comments: