Definitely changing for the better

Posted by Divs on 5:59 AM

While reading this blog post I was struck by how many similarities I found with my own family and their reactions to me coming to Rhodes. However, instead of being given that annoyingly smug "knowing look" that you wrote about, I was given encouragement. Although Rhodes is well-known for its notorious parties, excessive drinking and barefoot souls at lectures, it is better known for its high standard and quality of education. It is true that everyone back home was terrified that I would turn into a weed-smoking, green-haired girl who was suddenly a completely different person. When my family saw me at the airport at the end of the first term, I could almost see them breathe a collective sigh of relief. I dressed the same (maybe a little scruffier), valued the same things and had most of the same views that I left home with. What was different, though, was my newfound independence and irritation with being told what to do by my parents, who, after running my life for eighteen years, cannot seem to shake the habit of instructing me now and then. They forget, of course, that I now do my own laundry and for this reason alone, consider myself an adult capable of making decisions without asking their permission. I definitely agree with your statement that Rhodes introduces a student to several different religions and cultures, among other things. I believe that Rhodes has one of the most diverse student bodies and think that belonging to Rhodes makes a person so much more open-minded and accepting to people different to themselves. My opinions and beliefs have changed since coming to Rhodes, and I agree that these, too, have been changes for the better. What I liked most about this post is the basic opinion that living in a comfort-zone is not possible at Rhodes: whether you want to or not, you are going to be exposed to different aspects of life. This is an extremely insightful, evocative post.

Diva from TruthAboutLies

0 comments: